Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My birthday

It was my birthday last Friday (19th June). It was one of the quietest birthdays for me. I remembered my parents and brothers on that day, and wished to eat kheer that my mother prepares even now on our birthdays. Kheer is a traditional South Asian sweet dish made by boiling rice, milk, and sugar, and flavored with raisins, pistachios, and almonds. Sometimes my mother replaces sugar with date-palm jaggery (khejur-patali gur in Bengali language) and the kheer tastes amazing. Last Friday I missed you very much, Ma.

I am thankful that God put the most wonderful husband in the world in my path. I am very happy and thankful for all the joy of having a loving and understanding hubby. Hubby is extremely busy with office work of late. However in spite of his very busy schedule, while returning home on Thursday night (18th June) he bought a few pieces of chocolate cake, strawberry short cake, fresh fruit cake, and Japanese cream puffs (shu cream). He reached home at about 11.20 pm, ate dinner, and fell asleep by 11.45 pm! In fact, while having dinner he had asked me to wake him up at midnight just in case he dozed off. However, he looked so tired that I just did not have the heart to wake him up when the clock struck midnight. Next day when he woke up at 5 am, he was feeling rather bad about it. I told him that the feeling of unity and support is more important than eating the cake exactly at midnight! Finally we had the cake pieces in the evening of 19th June. I like chocolate cake very much. Mmm yummy!
Various kinds of cake pieces

I ate chocolate cake

Hubby ate strawberry short cake


Hubby and I went to Akita city on 20th June and he bought a ‘Hitachi Healthy Chef’ microwave oven from Yamada denki shop as my birthday present. It is a combination of oven and microwave, and has four types of heating methods including steam superheating at 300 degree centigrade, microwave, oven, and grilling. This new microwave oven has no turntable. Operating the new hi-tech microwave oven is taking some getting used to as there are so many options in the control panel! I simply love the superior advanced technology products of Japan. In addition, this microwave oven is eco-friendly. Thanks hubby for a wonderful present. We had to pay some extra money at the shop for disposing off our dear old microwave oven.
Our new microwave oven

Hubby posing with the microwave oven

No turntable in the microwave oven

Tray for grilling


Another year has added to my age. I love every moment of my life with hubby. He is more than enough to make life happy and meaningful.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!

Yasu said...

Happy Birthday, Manisha!

You are the lucky one to get a steam oven microwave as your birthday present from your hubby. I have been wanting to have it. (We don't have that in Perth)

Enjoy the cooking with your hubby!!

Yasu

Banashree said...

Really a wonderful gift didi.. Yeah, I can understand how you felt about missing the "Payesh (kheer)".
But, never mind. You can now try out new dishes with the new Oven!!

Happy cooking!!!

Anima said...

Happy Birthday Manisha!

How sweet your hubby is!!
Even though he was extremely tired he tried to wake up to celebrate your birthday at midnight!
He is definitely sweeter than the cakes he bought...isn't he? :)

And nice microwave...Enjoy cooking!

Alison said...

Happy Birthday Manisha!

Manisha Kundu-Nagata said...

Thanks google for birthday wishes.

Manisha Kundu-Nagata said...

Thanks Yasu for birthday wishes.

I hope steam microwave oven becomes available in Perth too. It makes cooking a bit more easier:)

I am planning to make chawanmushi sometime soon.

Manisha Kundu-Nagata said...

Thanks for your comment Banashree. Yeah microwave oven is a nice gift.
Now I am familiarizing myself with the control panel. Soon I will try some new recipes :)

And yeah, I missed 'payesh' very much but.....
Hubby and I enjoyed eating cakes.

Manisha Kundu-Nagata said...

Thanks Anima for birthday wishes. Yeah, I feel so fortunate to have met my hubby...

Will soon try some new recipes using the microwave oven.

Manisha Kundu-Nagata said...

Thanks Alison for birthday wishes.

Subbi said...

Belated Birthday Wishes, Manisha.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Wishes Manisha...and many more returns of the day.

Manisha Kundu-Nagata said...

Thanks Subbi for birthday wishes.

Manisha Kundu-Nagata said...

Thanks ckuramitz for birthday wishes.